Psychomuffin's Suburban Adventure

The misadventures of a domestically challenged girl and her mission to ascend to the ranks of Domestic Goddess.

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Why Darius and I are both Tossers

Well, the other day I took a quiz from the new anti-clutter book I am reading to find out my "clutter personality". The I got Dman to take it on the way to work in the car.

I am a Tosser / Concealer.

I like to throw things away in order to make the job of tidying up easier. Almost nothing is sacred. I really subsribe to the belief "Keep nothing that you don't know to be useful or believe to be beautiful." I really  can't stand to have tons of useless junk which I need to arrange, dust and keep track of. Frankly, it's mentally draining. The concealer part of me enjoys the task of organising, arranging and categorising my, remaining, stuff. Yay! Labels!

Darius is a Tosser / Collector

Darius also likes to throw away anything useless, but he also will keep anything and everything he perceives to have value. His Concealer traits are at an all time low which means he can't stand organising his stuff. This is spot on - I can think of a dozen of Darius' collectons tha are sitting around making a mess because he has no inclination to sort them. I have no problem with this you understand, I know he hates small, fiddly jobs like sorting his fact file collection or whatever, that is fine: we all have tasks we don't enjoy. I just wish he would let me do it for him.

Example: Darius has a collection of Star Wars Fact File that was a periodical that he hasn't read. I am sure he would read and get more pleasure out of it if it were arranged properly in its files. I have offered more than once to do it for him but get told, in no uncertain terms, to Leave It Alone. He says this to me a lot. I know he gets annoyed with my Tidying as well. He is under some delusion that I throw away his stuff without asking (this is rubbish BTW). What he considers 'Throwing Away' is probably just 'Putting Away' eg. the bank statement will move from the pile of rubbish in the corner of the desk to, god forbid, the Bank file.

I am happy to do this for him. I enjoy it, he doesn't, this is fine. I really do wish he would quit giving me such a hard time over it though. I am not sure why it is that he doesn't want me to help him sort his stuff but sometimes it feels like he wants me to stay out of it because it's none of my business. I wish he would grasp that if his collections were organised they would take up less space and I could store some of the stuff that is presently all over the floor there - so it does affect me, whether he thinks so or not.

I know I have clutter faults as well, as I'm sure he would mention if this was his blog. But at least mine are 'works in progress'.

Thus ends my rant for the week.

In other news, my PC at work was in the process of falling over yesterday, so I spent my day stressing and trying to bail out data before it gave up the ghost altogether. Today, when I'm ready to send it in, its behaving like an angel. Stupid machine.

Darius and I went to dinner at Jane's house last night. There were burgers, ice cream and loads of diet unfriendly stuff. I did not do well. And that is all I will say about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home