Psychomuffin's Suburban Adventure

The misadventures of a domestically challenged girl and her mission to ascend to the ranks of Domestic Goddess.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Avoiding the People Who Care.

And so the heatwave continues.

I have Weight Watcher's today and I'm kind of dreading it. I feel terrible about this because everybody knows that I am a real believer in this program but my problem is more with the leader (and, to be honest, even that is not really her fault.)

It all began when I first joined some months ago. I joined for the booklets, pure and simple. I know the meetings work well for some people but they really aren't my thing. I just want to go, get my booklet for the week, maybe pick up a recipe sheet and leave. Now I wasn't even planning on starting the diet in ernest 'til 2006. I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for it but I knew I would be in the New Year. So for those first two meetings I put on weight. Then they closed for Christmas and I continued to pack on the pounds. My weight topped out at 91.3 and I have lost since then but according to my weigh-ins at meetings I have put on every week since I joined.

This has prompted her to go into hyper-supportive mode where she holds me up with long lectures giving advice such as "Focus on veggies.", "watch your portion sizes", blah, blah, blah. Now I know this is great for most of the other members, but I am really not interested. I don't need my portions adjusted. I know when I'm following the program and when I'm not (and I was cheating for ages, I am well aware of it.) I know she means well and does care about my progress.

It's my own fault really, I just don't know how to say "Shut up and leave me alone." in a loving, supportive way.

1 Comments:

At 5:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about "I mean this in the nicest possible way, but... shut up and leave me alone"? Just a thought. Use it, don't use it.

Or you could just admit that you were cheating - that might get her off your back (and onto it in a different way).

I must say (and I do mean this in the nicest possible way) that I feel a little relieved seeing your "max weight" close to my current weight - i feel a little less like a blob now. I have a seriously screwed up body image - I think I'm thinner than I really am, and when I see photos of myself I'm horrified. But you, now I don't think of you as a blob, so if you were close to my weight, well then... I can't be a blob either then, can I?

But anyway, just focus, don't "deviate" too much (ha, she says, having had some popcorn on Tuesday night at the movies!) and just get it done.

Hmmm, now if only I could follow my own advice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home