Psychomuffin's Suburban Adventure

The misadventures of a domestically challenged girl and her mission to ascend to the ranks of Domestic Goddess.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

What's the point?

I've been asking myself lately why I continue to attend Weight Watchers if the system has failed for me in the past. They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results.
I guess my real question is why I have been unable to continue a lifestyle change in the long term. Part of it is novelty I guess. I am attracted to novelty like a moth. I have developed an aversion to 'diets' and 'programs' lately because I know that I have no attention span to think of and if novelty is the only thing attracting me it is guaranteed not to work.
I also battle to follow diets when my life takes unexpected turns. I will be the first to admit I don't handle change well. Routine is my snuggle blanket and a well laid plan my ultimate goal. Mess with those things and my life goes into a bit of a spin. I think I need to work on that.
Other than those two things and I really can't understand why it is I battle with it. I really have a lot of faith in Weight Watcher's, it is flexible and easy, no weighing, no banned foods etc. and if you manage your points carefully you can eat a huge amount of food. I am convinced more than ever after watching Mandy on TLC that I'm on the right track but one downside of having large amounts of choice regarding what you eat is that the door to overindulgence is always open and a lot more depends on your good judgement. I like the fact that I have to practice making good choices about my food and I really think that will benefit me in the long run. It also is the type of system I can commit to in the long term. Hopefully as time goes by I will be able to re-introduce foods that i used to overdo, for the moment though I'm cutting them out. What I like about this system is that cutting stuff out is my choice. I am not a victim of my diet.
 
There, I think I've convinced myself.

Oh, and the recipe books kick ass.

1 Comments:

At 2:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey sweetie!

I know how you feel. I tend to overindulge a lot too (but then I am on 30 points a day - I'm a lump). I also tend to give up on the program and myself a lot (this is the 5th? time I'm trying this!). But me back on again and I'm sure some positive freindly reinforcement will go a long way.

ie. you look fat - sort it out ;)

Holding thumbs for both of us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home