Psychomuffin's Suburban Adventure

The misadventures of a domestically challenged girl and her mission to ascend to the ranks of Domestic Goddess.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Words are not enough

What do you say when a friend is hurting? How can you show them you care without it being painfully obvious that there is no way you could possibly understand?

Today, a friend will wake to a world that is completely different to the world he lived in two days ago. I don't know what to do. I don't know how to speak to him...everything I can think of to say sounds so shallow, so inappropriate, so completely insufficient.

Part of me wants to rationalise:
He needs time to be with family.
He doesn't want to deal with calls from friends who don't know what to say, leaving him in the position of having to reassure them that their fumbled words are welcome.
I don't want to bother him.

Deep inside I know that it's rubbish. I'm afraid of this feeling of helplessness. I am afraid I would say the wrong thing and make it worse.

So instead of reaching out and letting him know I'm thinking of him, I sit alone in my office and cry.

I cry because I am helpless.
I cry because I remember those I have lost.
I cry because I am shocked...I knew his father was sick but I believed he would recover.

Mostly though, I cry for Jude. Sometimes, it's all you can do.

Maybe one day I can offer him comfort. But not today.

1 Comments:

At 3:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Words may never be enough, but actions always show how you feel! Thank you so much for this - it means so much to know that others think of me and are there to support! It's incredibly lonely though I'm so comforted by your thoughts and words. Love you hun!

Mwah!

PS: you made me cry too, reading this! I printed it out to keep at home :)

J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home